Monday, June 02, 2008

Antiquing Adventure

Today Eddie spent the day with his mother taking her home from the hospital and helping her get settled in. He told me it was my vacation and to do something fun today. I was going to take a painting class, but I couldn't reach the lady who teaches the class because her phone number is no longer in service. I haven't had any luck so far with finding out whether she's still teaching the classes, so I didn't go paint today.

What I did do is just bum around today. Goof off, fiddle around, whatever you want to call it. After Eddie left to go to the hospital, I went to a music store near where we live and looked at the hammered dulcimers. I can't buy one right now, but it was fun to look at them and all the other musical instruments they sell there. Things like guitars, banjos, mandolins, ducimers, psaltries. All kinds of instruments. I want to learn to play something so badly, I can hardly stand it. I'm itching to learn, I just haven't figured out what it is yet, and worse, haven't had the money to purchase it or take lessons.

Anyway, I digress. So, what I did do is buy a music CD by Dan Landrum, who is a hammered dulcimer player in my city. This month, we are having the Hammered Dulcimer Festival in our city and I would like to go, but I just don't know yet. I guess I'd better figure it out soon because it's coming up fast.

Well, I digress again. After I left the music store, I went to a local antique mall and had fun just looking around. I have several pictures to share with you.

The first one is of an antique phone that I just love. I couldn't resist taking a picture.


I found this wonderful old room that was called "General Store", and it actually looked like an old general store.


Complete with a potbellied stove and checkerboard and chairs.


I also found an old oak icebox chest that I love. I've wanted one of these for ages, but I don't have room for one, so I'll just have to be content looking at pictures.


There was another thing that I found that I absolutely had to buy. I don't think I've seen one since I was a little girl. It is a little book titled "How to Tell Time." I had this book when I was little because I remembered the clock face on the front, and when I opened it, I remembered the stories and pictures. It was only $2.45 "as is". It wasn't in bad condition, considering how old it is. Just lovingly used, and had a few pencil markings in it. Also, a little girl named "Suzette" had written her name inside. I'm so glad Suzette enjoyed this book as much as I did.


I picked up a few free booklets while I was at the mall, and one of them looked really interesting. It's The Ladies Birthday Almanac.


I love these Almanacs and things like that. My dad used to use the Farmer's Almanac and plant his garden by the "signs".

When I finally tore myself away from the antique store, I went down the street to the art supply store. I found these great coloring books. I love to color just like a kid, and I couldn't resist these.


I'm not finished... When I left the art store, I went to Tuesday Morning and found this notepad and these pretty playing cards.


I had such a fun day, just being free and going wherever I wanted to. I would love another day like this soon and I'm hoping I'll get to do it again while I'm on vacation. I could really get used to this. It's so nice to be able to sleep in, start the day slowly, leisurely get ready to go out and then just go where you want to go, and do what you want to do.

This afternoon I made a meatloaf and a broccoli casserole that we are going to take to Eddie's mother's tomorrow. We will both be spending part of the day tomorrow with her, but I'm hoping I'll have another day to bum around and have fun adventures like I did today.

No comments: