Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Rainbow

This morning I was reading one of my favorite blogs, A Fanciful Twist, and she was writing about a rainbow she saw when she was out for a drive. It was a beautiful rainbow and her post was all about listening to messages and taking time to stop and have adventures. Taking detours from our original plan to enjoy nature and just have fun.

It reminded me of a short little thing I wrote a couple of years ago when I was on my way to the grocery store and saw a beautiful rainbow. After I saw the rainbow that day, I was inspired to write about it.


One afternoon I was running some errands after work. It had been raining earlier that day and had stopped for awhile. I was sitting in my car at a red light and looked up and noticed a beautiful rainbow in the sky. I thought to myself, “I have to park someplace so I can look at this rainbow.” I had to stop at the grocery store, so I drove into the parking lot, parked and got out of my car. I just stood there with my car door open and looked up at the rainbow. I counted about seven different colors. I wished so badly that I had a camera so I could take a picture of it so I could go back and look at the beautiful colors later after the rainbow had faded.

While I was standing beside my car looking at the rainbow, I thought it was so rare and wonderful that I wondered if anyone else was looking at it too. I looked around me and, to my surprise, people seemed to be going about their business and no one seemed to notice the rainbow. I wondered how they could miss such a beautiful, rare occurrence. I wanted to shout to everyone, “Look! Look at that beautiful rainbow!” It made me wonder how people have gotten so busy with their lives that they don’t take the time to stop and smell the flowers, and notice the beautiful things that God has created for us. I stood looking at the rainbow until it had almost completely faded away, then I went into the grocery store to do my shopping.

I’m sure there are some who could explain the rainbow scientifically, but to me seeing a rainbow just proves without a shadow of a doubt in my mind that God does indeed exist in our lives and loves us. I have always believed in God as long as I can remember, but every time I see a beautiful rainbow it’s just like God is reminding me that he is indeed in my life and cares for me and takes care of me. My prayer is that other people will know and feel the same and that they will take the time to stop and notice the beautiful things around them that God has created.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. The rainbow is a wonderful promise! ;)

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

You know, it is funny, when I took that photo (standing in the rain soaked) I thought people would slow down to look at it also.. or pull over... But I will tell you, people looked at me like I was a mad woman, I never saw one person even glimpse at the rainbow...

So, I know what you mean... The rainbow if a precious reminder.... And, the best part, is that we can take the time to revel in it ;)

Mrs.Kwitty said...

What a beautiful post---you are so right, we need to stop and enjoy the gifts the Lord gives us---including stopping to gaze in wonder at a beautiful rainbow.
Smiles, Karen