Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Lord is my Shepherd

This morning on the way to work one of my favorite chapters in the Bible came to me.  I used to have it memorized when I was a child, but this morning as I was trying to recall it, I couldn't remember it all.  It just made me realize that I need to memorize it again.  It's Psalm 23.  I love the way this chapter is written and when I read it from the King James Version, it sounds like music.

Psalm 23
(A Psalm of David)

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

I grew up going to church and learning all these verses and chapters from the Bible.  The King James Version is the version of the Bible that we always used.  Over time, I have come to start using other versions as well, but I really like the New International Version.  It makes things easier to understand.

I'm not a person who is what some would call a Bible thumping Christian.  I don't proclaim my Christianity from the rooftops, although I'm sure some would think I should.  I prefer to live my Christian life quietly, without announcing any works I might do.  I think it's much better to do works in quiet so that I don't seem boastful about what I've done and people don't necessarily know it's me that did them.  I know I did them and that's all that matters.  I work mostly behind the scenes in helping people or doing whatever Jesus puts in my path to be done to glorify him.  As I said, I'm not one to shout my Christianity from the rooftops, however I'm not afraid to tell anyone that my Lord and Savior is Jesus Christ and that he died for my sins.

I hope I don't sound preachy today.  It just seemed like the Lord was leading me to post this on my blog and Facebook today for a reason that only He knows. 


In my next post, I will share some pictures of the Disappearing Nine Patch wall hanging that I've started.  I'm having great fun with this pattern and it's so easy!

No comments: