Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Cute Hats

One day last week I was in my LYS and saw this adorable baby/child hat.


Of course, I wanted to make one right away. I asked the lady at the yarn store about it and she didn't seem to know much about it. We figured out it was probably from a kit, and of course they were all out of them. When I asked her what kind of yarn it was, she didn't know that either. I left very frustrated, but determined. When I got home I looked up the web site which is Debby Ware. I saw a hat similar to the one I had seen at the yarn store, but it wasn't exactly like it. I went to a new yarn store in my area and got all kinds of help, even got some cotton yarn to make the hat with. I'm working on it now.

Yesterday I decided I wanted to go back to the original yarn store and see if they would allow me to take a picture of the hat to see if I could use it for an example in my hat. This time there was a different lady there. One more knowledgeable. She said the hat was made from Tahki Cotton Classic yarn. Oh joy! And they sell it there. Then I searched online and found the Yarnmarket web site which has the pattern for a hat that is truly a Debby Ware pattern, along with how much yarn you need and the colors. Hot dang, now I'm getting somewhere. I figure I don't need a pattern since I've made these kind of hats before. I just need a picture to see the colors and how many rows of each color and the stitches used. So, my plan is to go back to the original yarn store and get some Cotton Classic to use in this pretty hat.


Just so I don't sound confusing I'll clarify the pictures. The top picture is the one from the yarn store, which I really don't think is a Debbie Ware pattern. I think that one is just one a volunteer or yarn store employee made. The second picture is the true Debby Ware pattern and I really like it. I think it's cute. It looks almost like a cake. I'm working on one similar to the first picture now. As soon as I get the Cotton Classic yarn, I'm going to start one like the Debby Ware picture.

While I was at the Yarnmarket web site I saw a pretty Holiday Hat Pattern.


I think you know where this is going, don't you? I ended up buying both the Squiggly Hat pattern and the Holiday Hat pattern. Sigh. I don't plan on using the Holiday Hat as a hat, though. I just want to stuff some stuffing or polyester fiberfil in it and put it on a table.

Are you thoroughly confused? I think I might be.

1 comment:

winna said...

this has to be the cutest Christmas Hat ever---even usuing bigger needles and making for an adult..