Friday, December 12, 2008

Knit Hat Sketch


I'm new to the EDM group. See link on the right side of my blog. I love the idea of making an illustrated journal. I'm still in the beginning stages of learning this new technique and trying to find the time to make a sketch every day. I'm even thinking about making a separate blog for my illustrated journal stuff. I'm painfully behind on it, but I made my first sketch the other day. When I was in Hobby Lobby looking at the yarn for a new project, I saw a lady wearing the cutest knit hat. I asked her about it and she was very friendly and generous in letting me look at it to see how I might be able to make one for myself. I didn't have a camera with me and wouldn't have asked for a picture anyway, so I drew the hat from memory. I thought it came out pretty well, but the journal book I used is not a very good one. It's just a sketch book that I bought at Hobby Lobby or someplace like that. The pages are thin and the art from the previous page shows through. I'm not happy with that, but I am pretty happy with the sketch. I'll probably put this journal entry in a better sketching journal such as a moleskin or something like that. I'm still learning how to get the best shot to post to the group. I tried scanning this first, and wasn't happy with the results. I then decided to take a picture with my digital camera. It came out pretty well, but I was working on my work computer and it doesn't have a way to modify the photo or crop, so this photo is very raw.

I've decided that instead of thinking this thing to death about drawing and sketching, to just let go and have fun. My drawings and sketches don't have to be great works of art. Part of my problem is that I'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to art, and when I over think it and try to make it perfect, it takes all the fun and sponteniety out of being creative. So, I'm learning to relax and just sketch and draw.

This is my first post to the group. I hope you like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You've begun....

I look forward to your participation in EDM and agree with your decision to just have fun. Good hat - now you need to knit one and sketch and paint it!