Friday, January 08, 2010

Knifty Knitter Hats

We've had some snow here, and being snowed in I decided to make some hats using my Knifty Knitter round green loom. I decided to bling them up a little bit by putting some fun fur type yarn on the brim. I think they came out really cute.

The black hat was made with Lion Brand Wool Ease, and a Hobby Lobby brand of furry trim. I think it was Yarn Bee brand. For the brim I held one strand of the furry yarn and one strand of black Wool Ease together and knit for 5 inches. After making the brim, I dropped the furry yarn and held together one strand of black and one strand of a dark gray of the Wool Ease to make the remainder of the hat. I knitted for about 8 inches and then gathered the top. It couldn't be easier or faster and it made a warm, pretty, stylish hat.


For the blue hat, I used Lion Brand Homespun yarn in 368 Montana Sky color, and Fun Fur stripes in Deep Sea color. To make the blue hat, it was basically the same thing as with the black hat. For the brim, I held one strand of the homespun and one strand of the fun fur together for the brim. After making the brim, I held 2 strands together of the homespun for the remainder of the hat.


I couldn't believe how well these hats came out. They were both quick and really, really warm. I think I'll be making some more.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Sharon those hats are really cute! You have inspired me with those photos.

I've always wanted to knit, but being left-handed, it was impossible for me to learn. My Home Economics teacher gave up trying to teach me so I ended up with a sewing project to get my grade that semester.

My husband gave me the Knifty Knitter for Christmas a few years back and after the first day, I just couldn't get it either. I put it away and forgot all about it until today. So after looking at your pics, I've decided to try it again. YouTube has some tutorials on their website that are pretty good. I just may learn after all!

Your hats are very well done and you could make a few extra dollars if you decided to sell them.
Thanks again for the inspiration!

Paula said...

You do such wonderful work, Sharon... I wish I knew where to start with something like that!
They are both so beautiful... I would have a hard time deciding which one I loved the best... blue is my favorite color and that particular shade is gorgeous, but the black looks so beautiful, too!

Sharon said...

Robin, I'm left-handed too. Believe it or not, I learned to knit right-handed. I also crochet right-handed. I don't know if I'm knitting right handed or not with the Knifty Knitter. I've just been doing it and it's been coming out alright. Thanks so much for your comment. I'm glad I could help you out. :))