Friday, June 05, 2009

Pansy Doily and Fresh Cut Flowers

This week I finished crocheting my first pansy doily. My mother-in-law made some similar to these back when she was a young married woman with 3 young children. Eddie said he remembers the doilies from when he was a little boy. She gave me 2 of the pansy doilies that she made and I have them on a corner cabinet with my teapots. I plan to paint this corner cabinet white very soon. I'll be sure to post before and after pictures of it.


Her doilies were my inspiration for trying one myself. I found a great free pattern for this doily. I will say there is a very slight mistake in this pattern. In the Doily Center pattern on Round 7, the pattern should read:

Ch 3, dc in same place, *dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc, (dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) twice, skip next dc, dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, ch 2, 2 dc in next dc, rep from * around, end last rep with ch 2, join with sl st in top of beg ch-3. (64 dc).

Like I said, it's a very minor mistake, but if you are like me and read crochet and knitting patterns word for word, this could be a real problem for a beginning crocheter. This is a very easy crochet pattern, and it went very quickly too. Here are some pictures of my finished pansy doily.



I love fresh cut flowers. There is something about them that just gives me a lift. At my last job, there was a lady who worked in the office with me and she told me that every week when she went to the grocery store, she bought a bouquet of fresh flowers to put in a vase on her desk. She said she just felt like this was one thing she could do for herself and it always made her feel better and gave her something pretty to look at while she was working. I love that idea. At the time I didn't do it, but where I work now I have my own office and I've made it my own. I figured that since I spend probably more time here than at home, I might as well make it as homey and uplifting as possible. So, now I've adopted the habit of getting fresh cut flowers every week at the grocery store too. These are the flowers I bought this week.

1 comment:

Paula said...

That is gorgeous, Sharon! I LOVE the colors along the outer edge! You did a wonderful job!