Sunday, November 16, 2008

Feathered Friends and Origami Stars

Eddie and I have been sick with the cold/flu/crud thing that's going around. I've only been sick for the past week, but Eddie has been sick longer. He started feeling better last weekend and I started getting sick last Sunday. I managed to work 2 days last week, but had to give it up and go to bed the last 3 days of the week. I'm feeling much better today and plan to go back to work tomorrow. Eddie, I'm afraid, is having a mild relapse. He's going back to the doctor this week. Both of his sisters have been sick with the stuff and can't get rid of it. One of them has brochial pneumonia and the other one has bronchitis. They have both been sick for at least 4 weeks. Eddie has chronic bronchitis, so we want to be really careful his doesn't go into pneumonia.

My mom fell last week at the mall while walking and she's laid up right now with an ice pack on her side. She's going to the doctor tomorrow for another x-ray to make sure she's not developing pneumonia from injuries from the fall.

During all this I have been having some fun. I was confined to the house and I discovered a couple of new projects to work on.

The first one is a really, really fun origami star. I love this star. It took me a few tries to get the technique down, and now that I have, I'm hooked. I've made several of these and I can't seem to stop. The only thing stopping me is not having the right kind of paper. I learned that quilling paper is the best for these stars. I found some paper at the Quilling Superstore online. The paper comes in several different widths and the best length is 24". I also found a Youtube video on how to make one of these stars. Without further ado, here is what they look like.




I also have some feathered friends hanging from one of my trees among the stars. I made about 4 of these birds and they were very quick and easy to make.


The pattern for these birds came from the Fall 2008 issue of Quilts and More and is found on page 86. I tried to find a downloadable pattern for you, but could not. It doesn't seem to be one of the available ones. Hopefully, you can still find an issue on the stands.

2 comments:

Chie said...

Hi Sharon! :)
I'm sorry to hear you were sick last week... and also I'm sorry about your hubby and your mom. Isn't it weird how things sometimes happen at the same time?? :( My son has been sick with fever since Friday night too.
I love your origami stars and the birds! I admire your craftiness. :) You make me want to pull out my origami and do some folding too. :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely magical these are!

My son and I love doing origami, and your stars are so festive-looking!