Thursday, May 31, 2007

Singer Featherweight 221 Sewing Machine


This morning I was looking at the current issue of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine and saw an ad for some refurbished Singer Featherweight Sewing machines. It took me down memory lane when I remembered my mom's white Singer Featherweight machine. It looks just like the one in this picture. My mom bought it back in the 1960's and used it to sew everything. I also used it when I was in junior high school taking home ec classes and first learning to sew. It's the only sewing machine she ever had and she still has it and sews on it to this day. She's had to have it worked on 4 or 5 times, but after about 47 years, I guess that's pretty good.

I just love the machine and I told my mom that it was an antique and no matter what she did, to not get rid of it because I want it. I don't think she realized the value of it until I told her. It's just a working, functional machine for her. I'm so glad she has it. I'm sure we never expected it to be so valuable.

No comments: