Thursday, May 10, 2007

Dishcloths and Quilts

I've been working on several different things off and on lately. I don't seem to be attached to one thing. All along I've been working on knitting and crocheting dishcloths. I decided that since I had such a demand for them last year that I would start early and get several made ahead of time. Last year right before Christmas, while I was sick with the flu, I had a request for 12 at one time from someone who wanted to give some as Christmas gifts. I had run out previously and didn't feel like making more. Of course, I could have just told the person that I felt like death warmed over and wouldn't be able to do it, but I didn't really want to do that. I did manage to make 6 for the person, but I really felt like I shortchanged them. So, this year, hopefully, I'll be prepared for that or any other requests that might come up. I have many more than what is shown in this picture. I just couldn't fit them all in this basket.


I've been intrigued lately by landscape quilts and decided that I would try to make one. I borrowed a book from our library on making landscape quilts and last night I cut out some pieces and arranged this. I'm not quite sure if it really looks like a landscape quilt or if it's just pieces of fabric lying on top of each other. Maybe I've been looking at it too long. Today I'm going to decide how I want to sew it together.


I brought my digital camera with me this morning to take a picture of a quilted wall hanging that I made that I have hanging outside my office door.


Since I'm doing show and tell, I thought I would post this picture of a pineapple quilt that I made a couple of years ago for a friend. This is a technique that I learned at the American Quilter's Society quilt show in Nashville a couple of years ago. It's a workshop that I took with Donna Poster. It's her Foldy Stuff technique. This technique is really fun. The hardest part is getting all the fabric pieces cut out and preparing the muslin using her pattern, but once that's done, that's when the fun starts. I have already cut out enough pieces to make a two color wall hanging. I'm not sure when I'll get around to making it, but hopefully after Mother's Day things will settle down some and I can work on it.


And here's another one that I have hanging in my sewing room.

No comments: