Wednesday, October 20, 2004


The night before last I was looking at some old church directories that had belonged to my aunt who recently passed away. I found something odd in one of them. Her picture was in the directory, but the church or someone had made a mistake and put someone else's name under the picture. It kind of freaked me out at first because I thought maybe I was losing my mind. I decided to show it to Eddie to see what he thought. I went into the living room and proceeded to sit down beside him on the sofa so I could show him the picture. Prior to this I had been doing some embroidering on the pillowcases I have been working on. I use embroidery needles which are sharp kind of like sewing needles. You know where I'm going with this, don't you? Anyway, as I sat down I knew right away what had happened and I yelled "Ouch!! What the heck?" when I knew just exactly what the heck it was. I was so mad at myself. I had laid the embroidery aside on the sofa to get up and go do something, forgotten about it, and apparently the needle slipped out of the thread and got wedged into the sofa seat cushion sharp side up.

In light of all this stress we have been going through with the sunroom and various other stressful things, this was the last straw. I had a total and complete hormonal episode. I was just so mad at myself for doing such a dumb thing as sitting down on a needle, and then realizing the potential for an infection, etc., that I just went kind of nuts. Thinking the worst (that my butt might get infected and rot off, or I might have to go to the hospital and get a tetanus shot) I thought to myself "This is all I need right now." I really didn't want to have to go to the hospital or doctor when there is so much other stuff going on right now. Eddie was very good and kind to me. I cried like a baby and he treated me like a child who needs comforting. He doctored my place for me and put a bandaid on it. I know this is too much information, but he was wonderful. I cried the whole time like a child. I couldn't seem to stop crying. Later on I began to laugh and cry and the same time and decided that one day I would laugh about this. He assured me that my butt was not going to rot off, that the worst thing that would happen would be that I might have to get a tetanus shot. But, he said it was probably unlikely since the needle was not rusted. We have been watching it and treating it and so far, so good.

Today I have been laughing about it, but it just made me feel so dumb. I'm hoping that it will continue to heal. Needless to say, this has dimmed my enthusiasm for embroidery right now. I really have enough pillowcases to give as gifts anyway, but I thought I might embroider one more set just so I would have more choices. I wanted some mindless knitting, so now I'm back to knitting my sock monkey stocking. I figured if I want to use it at Christmas time, I better get it finished. I'll eventually get back to my embroidery, but probably not for another week. Shesh!

1 comment:

Chie said...

Ooooohhh Sharon, I'm sorry you had to go through the painful incident. I thought I felt your pain as I was reading this post. :D I can totally understand how it is being in a stressful situation. It's like just one more unpleasant incident can completely break me into pieces. Anyways, I'm glad to know that your DH treated you really nice, you are OK, and you can laugh about it now. :)

I needed to have some mindless knitting too so I started on my puppy's sweater. :) I'm gonna post about it probably some time next week.