Friday, September 06, 2013

What I've Been Doing This Week

Last week my friend, Linda Sue, asked me if I would help her with a display at a local church.  The event is a Lottie Moon Christmas Event that a local Baptist church has every year.  One of her friends goes to that church and he asked her if she and I would like to do a display with our American Girl dolls using a Colonial Williamsburg theme.  I told her that I have another commitment at the time of the event so I wouldn't be able to actually go and help her set up, but that I would be willing to make some things to include in the display.  We started thinking about Colonial Williamsburg and how the dolls should be dressed.  We got to thinking about those mob caps that children sometimes wear for plays and other events.  Those caps seemed to be in line with that era, so I told her that I would make some caps.  Then I got to looking around and found some dress patterns for 18" dolls that would fit the American Girl dolls.  So, this week I've had the most fun getting these outfits ready.


Now, I know that I can't possibly tell you about these cute dresses without giving you the source for the patterns, so I'm happy to share.  The lavender print dress on the left was made from McCall's 3627.  I had never made a doll dress like this before and, to be honest, I wasn't sure I could even do it, but I got the pattern on sale, so why not give it a try?  The pattern directions were very good and clear and I had no problem at all.  This pattern was a bit time consuming, but I like the way it came out.  The yellow print dress on the right came from an Etsy seller.  This pattern was an instant download in a PDF file, which I love, because when I get in the mood to make something, I want to make it NOW, not days from now.  Who wants to wait for a pattern to arrive in the mail when you're in the mood to get started right away?  This pattern was much quicker and easier too.  The most fiddly part was the bodice and sewing the lace, etc.  The mob caps were a piece of cake.  It's just a circle and I can make one in about 20 min.

Tomorrow, I'm going to Linda Sue's house and taking the girls so she can see the dresses.  I'll probably just leave them so she can already have them at her house to take with her for the display.  She's going to use some of her doll furniture and other accessories for the display.  I sure wish I could be there with her to actually do the display, but she will take lots of photos, so it will be almost like being there.  If I can get copies from her, I will post them here.

No comments: