Monday, March 17, 2008

Roman Holiday

Yesterday, was a movie watching day. The first movie I watched was Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. It was a wonderful movie and I had just started watching it when, alas, the doorbell rang and my mother-in-law popped in. Drat it. Well, it wasn't her fault I had been planning on watching this movie for about a week. She stayed about an hour, and then left. I did get to see the ending of the movie, but I'm pretty sure I have seen the movie before, just not in its entirety. Just bits and pieces. To view the video below, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of my page and turn the music off on my music player.



Right after that movie, I saw that Key Largo was coming on. I love Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart together in movies, so I wanted to watch this one too. I didn't really enjoy it, though. I don't think it's one of their best movies together. I did watch it to the end, it was just the story line I didn't like, not the actors because Bogey and Bacall are exceptional actors in the movies they were in together. I just think their acting ability has been put to much better use than this movie.

This weekend I finished making a baby sweater. It's for no one in particular, but I like to have a few of these on hand in case of baby showers.


I also took a notion for some deviled eggs. I don't eat them very often, but every now and then I really like them. When I saw how pretty they looked on the plate and I saw my pretty salt and pepper shakers, I decided to take a picture.


When I was making them I started to reach for my regular salt and pepper containers, which really aren't containers at all. They are more like the containers that they came in. Then I happened to see these pretty shakers, and I decided that I wanted to make this an elegant experience, even if it was just deviled eggs I was making.

Using this pretty Lady Carlysle dish and those elegant looking shakers reminded me of my aunt. She used to set a perfect, elegant table and always used cloth napkins. When she passed and we bought her house, we found all kinds of lovely linens. None were embroidered that I remember, but she had lacey type linens and just all sorts of napkins, tablecloths, pillowcases. I kept them all, of course, because I love to use these things.

I wish I could have been more like her. She lived in the era where most mothers and wives stayed at home and she never even learned to drive. I'm glad I learned to drive, but sometimes I long for the simpler times when she was a wife and mother. With this faster paced world where it seems it almost always takes two incomes to make it, there doesn't seem to be any time for things like real linens and things like that unless we stop and make the time.

Maybe turning 55 last month, was a liberating experience that made me put things into perspective. So, I have decided that I'm going to add more elegance to my life just by using my fine china teacups and dishes for the simple things. What am I saving them for? I've started drinking my coffee every morning using a different china teacup every day. I'm going to start using those Lady Carlysle dishes. Since that is my favorite china pattern, I would love to add some dinner dishes to that, but the outlet store that was close to us in Calhoun, Ga. closed. I'm going to have to figure out a different way to find them.

1 comment:

Movie Maven said...

Good for you. You should definately use your good things, who will be more careful with them or love them more than you? ;-)