Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Little Blue House and the Blue Max Special


I’m kind of sad and really nostalgic today.  I’ve been thinking about things we have owned in the past and sold.  The main thing I’m sad about is the house we used to live in before the house we live in now.  When Eddie and I first got married we lived in his trailer that he had bought when he was still single.  We had some good memories there, but as time went on we decided to buy a house.  We found a little house on the other side of town from where we were living at the time.  It was a cute and pretty little house.  It was a little blue house that sat on a little hill on about an acre and a half of land.  We used to sit on the front porch in our rockers and just look down the hill and watch the traffic go by, or watch our neighbor work in his vegetable garden.  It was a nice, quiet relaxing little area.  This picture is not of our front porch and rockers, but reminds me so much of how it looked:

I really miss my front porch.

Eventually, we decided we wanted a bigger house and smaller yard, so we started looking.  We couldn’t really find anything that we liked, so when my Aunt Dorothy moved into assisted living we bought her house from her.  I cried when I left our little blue house.  We had lots of wonderful memories there, but it was time to move on.  I feel like that was our little house and I guess I still think about it a lot.  Since we sold the house, it has gone through more than one owner.  I don’t know if the house is being rented or is owned by the people who live in it now, but Eddie said he has been by there and it looks awful.  He said whoever owns it has torn the blue siding off and tried to paint it.  The yard looks terrible.  The neighbors say the people who live there now party all the time and there are always loads of cars and people in the yard.  They said they have to call the police on them about every 2 or 3 days.  It really makes me sad and breaks my heart to know that our little blue house, which was once such a place of refuge and wonderful memories, has been mistreated this way.  I remember when we bought the house, the then owner had grown up in the house and her mother had lived there until she died.  She had even planted some of the trees in the yard.  In fact, the owners of that house once owned almost all of the land around the house.  The owner told me that she was glad we bought the house because she knew we would take care of it.  There is something about passing something along to someone else, believing that the new owner will continue to take care of it and not mistreat it.  I feel really badly about how the house is being mistreated now.  I told Eddie to not even tell me anything else about it, it breaks my heart so.  I just think that God is responsible for everything we have.  We don’t really own anything.  Everything is His and he gives it to us to take care of while we are on this earth.  I guess I just feel badly because it’s not being taken care of.  People these days just don’t have any respect for anything.  It’s really sad.

Another thing that Eddie told me this morning was that he thinks he saw a car that we used to own.  We sold it, too, several years ago.  It was a 1986 Mercury Cougar that was a dark blue on top and the bottom part was silver.  It was called a Blue Max special.  We called it “Old Blue.”  He said it thinks he saw it in the parking lot of a restaurant where he was eating this morning.  He said it looked terrible and said it looks like there was piles of trash and junk inside it.  That breaks my heart too.  We loved that car and it served us well over the years.


I know we are not supposed to focus on material things ... and I don’t.  I don’t have a desire to own lots of possessions.  I guess it just makes me sad that people who owned our things after us just didn’t take care of them the way we did.  But, then we have no control over who owns our former possessions and the way they take care of themI guess we just have to remember what Jesus said in Matthew 6:19-21.  I 'm using the King James Version just because I love the language:

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I am the same way, Sharon... I cried like a baby when we sold our first house, and then cried again when I sold my last car because I had owned it for 15 years and had always taken such good care of it... and when the new owner said he was buying it for his son I got a lump in my throat and started to back out but by then it was too late.
Love the scripture... one of my favorites.