Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Madame Alexander Doll


I love dolls, but I have not really thought much about Madame Alexander dolls until recently. I received an email from A.C. Moore advertising a Tuesday (today) sale on the dolls for $15.84, regularly priced at $24.99. The ad also said they sell other places for $59.99. This sounded like an excellent price since I know that these dolls are normally very expensive.

I went over to A.C. Moore at lunch to try to get one. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had them. My luck with sales usually goes like this: either they sold out the first 30 minutes, or they never had them to begin with, or they are getting some later in the day when I won't be able to go back and get one. Anyway, I was very happy and surprised to find one. I really didn't expect much since it was marked down, but this doll is really cute. I did some research on the Internet and found one site that was selling one like the one I bought for $85. I also found another site, it could have been an ebay site, that had one for $9.99, but the postage was around $17.99. The doll I bought was an 8" doll named Party Dress Wendy and in researching I found out that it has been retired. Anyway, I think I made a very good deal and I'm really excited about her. I fear now that I'm going to be hooked and looking for others.

2 comments:

Chie said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Sharon! :)
I'm so sorry I have been gone! Frankly, I see every post of yours, but before the holiday, I was just really busy, and I didn't take the time to leave a comment.
I'd love to learn to paint too. Actually, I'm really interested in decorative painting right now, I'm thinking about teaching myself this year. :)
All the things you baked look so yummy! What makes corn bread realy Southern??? Once in a while I make it, but I don't think mine tastes good at all. :D
I love those dolls too although I don't have real one like yours. The ones I have came with McDonalds Happy Meal, and they are little. :D I love them! I'm waiting for the next time they give away those little dolls. :)

Sharon said...

Hi Chie :))))

It's really good to hear from you! I didn't know that McDonald's ever gave away any kind of dolls in their Happy Meals. I don't buy their Happy Meals so I guess I wouldn't know unless I had children or saw a commercial. What kind of dolls were they?

I said the cornbread was Southern because as far as I know most people in the Northern states don't eat it, or not very much. It's sort of a culture change when we go someplace other than the south. But, I have to say the only place I have ever been that wasn't in the south was Illinois where my brother lives. In the south, I'm sure you know that having bread with a meal is a really big thing. When we visited my brother they didn't have any bread at all with their meal which was kind of strange to us, but probably not to them.

I don't have any speical recipe for the cornbread I make. I use self-rising cornmeal in mine. I just add one egg and enough milk to make the batter sort of thick, but not too thin. Then I pour it into a heated iron skillet and bake it in the oven on about 450 degrees for about 20 minutes. The secret to good cornbread in an iron skillet is that you have to generously sprayed it with cooking spray or grease it with Crisco or butter (I use cooking spray for health reasons - not as fattening), then heat the skillet on top of the stove to almost smoking, and then pour the cornbread batter in, then put it in the oven. Some people add flour to their cornbread batter, some add sugar, which makes it taste really good, and some even add corn. There are all kinds of ways to make it. What I like about it is the crust. I love to have a slice of cornbread piping hot out of the oven with margarine on it. Yum!!!

I have done decorative painting before and it's really fun. Have you ever seen any of the Donna Dewberry videos or books? I took a decorative painting class a few years ago from a local craft shop. I also have taken oil painting classes from the college where I work and a couple of other places too. Also watercolor. I really like to paint and draw although I don't feel thta I'm very good at it. But, these days almost anything can be classified as art. I guess art is in the eye of the beholder.

I have been looking at your blog and seeing all the wonderful things you have been making. I always enjoy reading your blog. I don't post on mine as often as I probably should. I just do it whenever I can or whenever there is something I have to post.

Chie, you will have to post a picture of the little dolls on your blog. I would love to see them.

Take care,
Sharon