Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Santa and His Friends


I took an extra long Thanksgiving weekend to take a painting class offered by a lady who is a wonderful artist. She paints using oils. There was a really cute painting of hers that I saw at an art show and I loved it so much, but I couldn't afford to pay $200 for it, even if it was in a frame. On a whim, I wrote down her phone number and called her just to see if she might teach painting classes, hoping in the back of my mind that she taught that particular painting or would at least be willing to teach it.

I called her and I couldn't believe my luck. She does indeed teach painting classes and she told me that she had taught that painting before. The sad part is that she only teaches during the day when I'm at work, and she wasn't interested in teaching on the weekends. I was so sad until I remembered that I had asked to take a couple days after Thanksgiving and realized I could go and learn how to paint it then. That's exactly what I did yesterday and Monday. I had the best fun, and I learned some new painting techniques that I hope will open up a whole new world of painting for me. To think I've been doing it the hard way for so long, and found this new easier, much more fun way of painting.

The above picture is actually a photo of the painting that she did. I have not finished mine yet. I'm about half finished with it. I'm definitely learning new things as I go along. I'm excited about it and and hope I can work on it some this week or this weekend.

I went by A.C. Moore yesterday and they have 16 x 20 canvases on sale for $3.00. I bought two in hopes of doing a couple more paintings. I hope to learn much more. I have to learn and you only learn by doing, so I'm really looking forward to it and having fun.

I told her that if I didn't have to work full time I would be there every Monday and Tuesday because that is just right down my alley. It would be so much fun to be able to go two days a week and paint for 4 hours each day.

No comments: